Friday, September 12, 2008

Food for Thought....

So, I'm taking a philosophy class this semester...and I really like it! I was dreading it, thinking it would be too hard for me, but after this first week, I'm way excited for more! Socrates was an awesome thinker!

Here are just a couple of quotes that really caught my attention from my philosophy text book (The Philosophical Journey, An Interactive Approach, Fourth Edition, by William F. Lawhead):

- To love something does not mean to possess it but to focus our life on it.

- The difficulty, my friends, is not in avoiding death, but in avoiding unrighteousness; for that runs faster than death.

- The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our different ways--I to die, and you to live. Which is better only the god knows.

- I tell you that virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue come money and every other good of man...

- Philosophy is often thought to be an optional enterprise, a detached, erudite hobby for the intellectually elite or the socially disabled. Someone once defined the philosopher as "a person who describes the impossible and proves the obvious."

Most of those quotes are what Plato recorded Socrates as actually saying in his last days of life. Great stuff!!! Hope you enjoy! :)

No comments: