Longing to Conceive
(February 9, 2012)
These long years have carried such pain,
And probably will send me more,
But Hope’s Faith-ful light will burn brighter still.
Full of Charity, I ponder
The sacrifice that has been made
To allow this all-consuming yearning.
The longing deepens in my breast
At every smile and tender kiss
Stolen from another mother’s treasure.
My heart’s beat quickens at the thought
Of cradling you within my womb
And aiding the Lord in giving you life.
Forever I’ll wait for the chance
To call you my own, and to love,
With all of my soul, your gentle spirit.
With this poem I actually tried to stick to a form (each stanza consists of two lines of 8 syllables each, and one line of 10 syllables). No matter how much time passes, I still feel the God-given desires to conceive and bear children. Since I was very young, I’ve loved the idea of giving my daughters the names Faith, Hope, and Charity (our first daughter is Nicole Faith), and I’ve included those names in this poem as a sign of the hope that I will have more children someday, whether in this life or the next.
It's been more than six years and we are still trying to get pregnant again, with no success...but I am eternally grateful that we at least have Nicole! I know of many couples who still struggle with being childless, and my heart goes out to them.
3 comments:
It hurts. I've only done 3 years, and that hurts. I can only imagine 6, although I may be there soon enough too. I loved at conference when President Packer talked about the Atonement and the pain of children.
Maybe you feel the same - one of the worst parts for me is when people see me with my "little" family, and assume that I am not trying, and try to "encourage" me to be brave and have a bigger family - Whether I want them or not, they aren't coming right now. It hurts.
Love you!!!!
This is truly a great poem. The words are so powerful that I'm sure they reach (or come from) the other side of the veil. You have one of the most valuable treasures a woman can acquire in this life...a true "Mother's Heart". Thanks for being willing to share it.
This is truly a great poem. The words are so powerful that I'm sure they reach (or come from) the other side of the veil. You have one of the most valuable things a woman can obtain in this life...a true "Mother's Heart". Thanks for sharing it.
Post a Comment