Chickens are disgusting!
Yes, I love eating chicken...but I cannot stand chicken on the bone! It's just too much for me... *gag*
So, knowing this, why in the world did I feel compelled to buy a whole chicken last fall? Maybe I was in a "Thanksgiving" type mood (where I don't mind eating turkey off the bone that one time a year...), I don't know...
I've had this 4 lb chicken sitting in my freezer since last fall, actually terrified to pull it out and cook it because it's just too gross for me. I am definitely more of a boneless, skinless chicken breast kind of gal. But we're getting ready to move, and I need to clean out the freezer.
I finally got enough guts to pull it out (pun intended ;), and spent at least 30 minutes in the kitchen this morning cleaning the thing and seasoning it and trying not to puke. It feels absolutely disgusting to move its legs and wings around!
I'm wondering though, aren't the giblets supposed to come in a nice little bag or something? Cause this chicken had no bag, and I had to pull the insides out with my bare fingers... And after I thought I had it all, I started rinsing out the inside, and out plopped its heart! EWWWWWWWW!
Not sure if I'm gonna be able to eat this poor bird today...it's sitting in its marinade in my fridge right now, and later I'll pop it in the oven to slow roast it, and I know it will smell good, but the whole process is a little too traumatic for me to think about eating it now...
Anyone else have this problem?!
1 comment:
I TOTALLY had this problem a few years back. I wanted a roasted chicken for Sunday dinner so I sucked it up, followed directions on a reciep card and defeated that bird. When it came out of the oven, the meat was sooooo good and soft, it de-boned itself. I picked up the bone and the meat fell off into this most delicious gravy Mmm! Since then I've been "champ of poultry" and its been worth touching raw bird every time.
Post a Comment