Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Jury Duty, etc.

Why does everyone hate jury duty so much?

I, personally, have never been summoned for jury duty until this month.  In the county I live in, they assign you a number, and each evening for the whole month, you have to call in or go online to see if your number has been assigned to show up for a trial the following day.  My number finally came up for today, and I was actually a little excited to participate in the whole process.

Unfortunately, they had a mess-up with the phone message (I check the message online because it's easier for me), so almost no one was aware of the assignments for today.  After waiting three hours at the court house while they tried to get a hold of additional jurors, they finally had to send us home because they didn't have enough.

Sure, I would rather have spent those three hours packing/cleaning/etc... but I feel good knowing that I showed up and did my best to help out.  I was a little shocked, though, at the reactions of the other people who showed up.  They grumbled all morning!!!  They would rather be at home, at work, out eating...they complained about how messed up the U.S. Judicial System is...they cracked jokes and complained about being bored while the criminal awaiting trial was likely playing video games in a jail cell...  It was frustrating!

"Now, if there was no law given--if a man murdered he should die--would he be afraid he would die if he should murder?  And also, if there was no law given against sin men would not be afraid to sin.  And if there was no law given, if men sinned what could justice do, or mercy either, for they would have no claim upon the creature?  But there is a law given, and a punishment affixed...justice claimeth the creature and executeth the law, and the law inflicteth the punishment..." (Alma 42:19-22)

Without the system we have (imperfect as it may be), our society would be much more chaotic and unsafe.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to help ensure that justice is met -- even if it meant that my morning was spent waiting!

*sigh*  Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.  Here's some fun pictures. ;)

 Nicole wrote a lovely note, complete with pictures, to give to her 1st grade teacher.  :)  She has had a wonderful year of school, and loves her teacher very much!  In the note, she explained that she didn't really want to leave her teacher's class, but she was still excited for 2nd grade.  Then she drew a "comic" of what she imagined the last day of school would be like for her.  *lol*  Nicole is awesome!!! :) :) :)


 Cole and I had a fun day yesterday.  We went on a long walk in the morning and talked about Memorial Day and what it's all about.  We did some packing and some cleaning, watched a movie or two, and then had what Nicole dubbed "a make-up party"!  ;)  I love that little girl SOOO much, and I can't believe how big she's getting!!!

No comments: