Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Week 2: Genesis 12 - 23

This week I chose to focus my study on the Abrahamic Covenant. I wanted to post a picture of Abraham and Isaac here, but it was copyrighted, so here's the link to the picture instead! :)

(or copy and paste this into your web browser: http://lds.org/media-library/images/gospel-art/old-testament?lang=eng#abraham-and-isaac-39463 )

One part of the Abrahamic Covenant that really hits me is the promise God made to Abraham that he would have innumerable posterity. Abraham (or Abram) really wanted to have children. He had a gorgeous wife (see Genesis 12), but they were unable to have kids. But when God told Abraham that he would have more posterity than there are stars in the sky, Abraham believed Him (even though he was getting old and all the evidence he had was contrary to that statement). Abraham had the faith to put it all in the Lord's hands.

Here are a few things that I learned this week:
  • Another word for "covenant" is "testament" (hence the Old Testament and the New Testament - ponder that!) ;)
  • The covenant that God made with Abraham also applies to all of his righteous posterity, and that includes me!
  • Abram's name was changed to Abraham, which means "father of a multitude"
  • Sarai's name was changed to Sarah, which means "princess"
And finally, here are some principles that I learned as I studied the scriptures. (Yes, I realize that some of these are not from Genesis, but that's because my scripture study takes me into other books of scripture as well). :)
  1. If we are prepared, we won't be overcome by the enemy. (D&C 38:9)
  2. Salvation comes through Christ as we enter into and keep covenants with God. (D&C 132:32)
  3. We are all brothers and sisters, and we should not allow contention between us. (Gen. 13:8)
  4. We should always have our faces turned toward God. (Gen. 13:12)
What principles have you learned from these scriptures? What parts of these stories strike a chord with you?

1 comment:

Becky Muench said...

Jenni I love what you have brought out about how Abraham had faith that the Lord would follow through on His word, even though it would be hard to believe that he would have children in his old age. Many times we have a hard time believing in the promises that Heavenly Father has made, because we cannot see the big picture and we are not patient enough. But the Lord takes care of things in His own time. He works on a different time line than we do. That's one of the "biggies" that I have to overcome in this life, is patience. I know Heavenly Father WILL follow through on His word.