Monday, February 06, 2012

Week 5: Exodus 20-40, Leviticus 1-10

Even though there is a lot of scripture to cover this week, I chose to backtrack a little and study about the Israelite's continual murmurings in the wilderness. Records of their murmurings can be found in Exodus 15:23-27, and throughout chapters 16 and 17.

What did the Israelites murmur about?

- Everything! ;)
- Not enough food
- Not enough water
- Wandering in the wilderness, etc.

They even went so far as to wish they had never left Egypt! How quickly they forgot the conditions of their bondage to the Egyptians!

Who did the Israelites murmur against?

- Moses and Aaron
- God

The Israelites seemed to forget that it was God who delivered them out of bondage in Egypt. They forgot that when they murmur against the Lord's servants, they are really murmuring against the Lord!

What causes their poor attitude?

- Doubt
- Fear
- Hardheartedness
- Blindness/inability to see the miracles around them
- Ingratitude

I think the biggest problem was that the children of Israel were very ungrateful! We are taught, "Gratitude is a feeling of appreciation and thankfulness for blessings or benefits we have received. As we cultivate a grateful attitude, we are more likely to be happy and spiritually strong. We should regularly express our gratitude to God for the blessings He gives us and to others for the kind acts they do for us" (http://www.lds.org/study/topics/gratitude?lang=eng)

When we find ourselves struggling, if we would remember to express our gratitude to Heavenly Father for the things we do have, then we would realize how blessed we really are and our trials would not seem so insurmountable!

Instead of turning to the Lord and praying for their needs, the children of Israel chose to whine and complain to Moses and Aaron about their hardships, and they chose to doubt that the Lord could protect them and preserve them.

Let's learn from their mistakes and always remember to be grateful! :)

What are some of the things that you are grateful for?! (pst...I like comments!) :) :) :)

For additional reading, this is an awesome talk given by President Monson (you can also watch the video of it by clicking the link on the right side of the talk).

1 comment:

Becky Muench said...

Often times I murmur about my little old house, but when it's cold outside or raining or the wind is blowing as it often does, I find myself thanking Heavenly Father that at least I have a home....a shelter from the elements. There is so much that I need to "realize" that I am grateful for every day. My family, my health, a warm bed, electricity, oh the list could go on. I'm especially thankful that I can turn to my Heavenly Father anytime and ask for His help and I know that He will be there to help me.