Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Paul and Silas

This week's reading covers Acts 9, & 13-18.  What I'm focusing on for this assignment Paul's second mission, mainly what we read in Acts 16.

Paul was guided by the Holy Ghost many different times.  He was given promptings on which cities to visit and which areas to avoid.  He even received visions in the night - which is another way that we can be guided by the Holy Ghost.

I, myself, have received promptings in the past.  I remember feeling prompted to invite a friend to come to church with me.  I almost didn't act on that prompting, because I thought that my friend would have no interest in the church.  But I'm glad I did act, because that friend was later baptized and is happy with the knowledge gained.

Paul was a very effective missionary because he acted on those promptings immediately.  He also sought out people to teach, looked for ways to serve others, and had great faith.

At one point in his journeying, Paul and Silas were whipped and cast into prison.

As they sat, locked up in that dark room, they could have grumbled and been angry about the rude treatment they had just received.  But, instead, they chose to pray and to sing praises to the Lord!  Because of their faith and good example, the jailor believed in Christ, was baptized, and immediately began doing good!

Believing is doing!  When we believe in something, we need to act on that belief!

We can be prepared to share the gospel with others as we pray for God's help, look for ways to serve others, be kind, and follow the promptings we receive from the Holy Ghost!

What is one thing that you find difficult in sharing the gospel with others?  How do you think you can overcome that issue?

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I just read this story about Paul and Silas this morning! I really loved the part too about them singing praises to the Lord while in prison, and it reminded me of when Joseph and Hyrum Smith and others were in Carthage jail.

I have a lot of fears about sharing the gospel with others. I'm afraid they will reject what I have to say. I'm afraid that I won't know enought to answer their questions or rebuttals. Tom always encourages me to live with more faith instead of fear. It doesn't do any good to fear things or worry about them. What's going to happen will happen. And the Lord is in control. He knows what's best.