Friday, September 14, 2012

Stephen and Abinadi

If you want to read along with me this semester, I'll post the chapters we study each week.  This week we read Acts 1-8, 10-12.

From a young age, I remember learning about Abinadi.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with this Book of Mormon prophet, Abinadi preached the gospel to the wicked King Noah and his wicked priests, commanding them to repent.  They were angry about this, so they burned him to death.  You can read the story of Abinadi here.  (His story pretty much starts in chapter 11 of Mosiah, and ends in chapter 17.)

Now, Stephen's story is one that I wasn't as familiar with.  We're introduced to Stephen in chapter 6 of Acts, and he dies at the end of chapter 7.  But his testimony of Christ was just as powerful as Abinadi's!  Stephen testified to the Jews of their wickedness - keep in mind that these are the same Jews who had just killed Jesus Christ.  He boldly reminds them of the teachings of the prophets that they supposedly live by, and because of his belief in the Savior, Stephen is stoned to death.

Stephen's final words are deeply moving.  After saying, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit," he "cried out with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge."  Stephen had no doubt that he was about to die, and in similitude of Christ, he forgave those who killed him.  Powerful, isn't it?

Both Stephen and Abinadi were killed for testifying of Christ.  They both pointed out the wickedness of their accusers, and they were both almost let go before their accusers took offense at their words and decided to let anger rule their actions.  They also both commended their souls unto God and sealed their testimonies with their blood.

One more important lesson that we can learn from Stephen's account is the nature of the Godhead.  In Acts chapter 7, verses 55 - 56, we see that Stephen:
  1. is "full of the Holy Ghost"
  2. sees "the glory of God"
  3. sees "the Son of man standing on the right hand of God."
Therefore, the Holy Ghost, God, and Jesus Christ are three separate and distinct beings.  Since Stephen doesn't see the Holy Ghost, we can learn that the Holy Ghost does not have a physical body.  But God and Jesus do have physical bodies, and we are created in their likeness and in their image!  (See Genesis 1:27)

The testimonies of these men strengthen my own testimony, even though we lived thousands of years apart.  They also bring me to wonder...am I strong enough to endure to the end?  Whether I will face direct persecution from others, or whether I will be called to live a long life and just be a good example, I don't know; but I hope that I will have the strength to endure to the end.

What are your favorite stories from the scriptures about those who testified of Christ?

No comments: