Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Faith Without Works Is Dead

This week's assignment comes from James chapter 2.  I love the book of James because it is so universal - applying to everyone!



The assignment is to reply to the following letter from a friend:

Dear LDS Friend,
   Some of my friends are saying that Mormons are not Christian because you believe that you need to do righteous works along with having faith to be accepted by God.  My other friends claim that with the grace of Christ, works are not necessary.  They say that if I join the Mormons I would be denying Christ's grace.  How should I respond to them?
          - Your Friend

So, here is my response!

Dear Friend,
     This is a common disputation that can be resolved by searching the scriptures and searching your heart.
     In Matthew 5:48, we are commanded to be perfect, to become like God.  Grace is a divine means of help, because we cannot become perfect on our own.  But Christ's grace cannot help us become like Him if we aren't even trying to do as He has done!  Just like you can't become a great pianist if you never practice playing the piano!
     Throughout the New Testament, and even in the Book of Mormon, we are instructed on the importance of both grace and works.  Here are just a few of them:
      • If a brother or sister be naked and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what dot it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man say, Thou has faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. (James 2:15-18)
      • Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?  Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? (James 2:21-22)
      • For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. (James 2:26)
      • And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. ... and they were judged every man according to their works. (Revelations 20:12-13)
      • Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 7:21)
      • For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. (2 Nephi 25:23)
    There are other scriptures, as well, which teach this precious doctrine.  I hope this helps you on your own quest for truth.
               - Your LDS Friend



I would love to hear any of your thoughts on this subject!  Please leave a comment below!

No comments: