Wow! Have any of you worked on Indexing for FamilySearch.org? It is sooooo cool! :)
Both my mother and my mother-in-law have been suggesting that I do it for some time now. Finally, this past weekend, my mother-in-law sat me down in front of her computer and showed me how it's done. It literally took her less than five minutes to explain it to me!
In two days, I've already indexed 41 names. (That may not sound like much, but it's a lot to me!) Now, instead of playing games (because I took them off of my phone, remember?), I can index names and help people out! :)
So, "what is indexing," you ask? Indexing is where you look at a scanned image of a hand-written/typed document, and you input the names and dates of the people so they can be added to a searchable database for other people who are trying to do their family history/genealogy research! It's basic data entry. There are lots of different projects you can choose to work on -- passenger lists, marriage records, census records, veteran records, etc. The projects are sorted by type, language, and difficulty, and it's so easy to get help or switch projects if you get stuck!
Well, what are you waiting for?! Go check it out!!! :) :) :) (They have tutorials on their website!)

No comments:
Post a Comment