Monday, May 05, 2014

Big Sister, Little Sister (and a birth story)

I am soooo sleep-deprived…but being a mom is great!!!  :)  We have waited so many years for the chance to have another baby, and now that she is finally here, things are feeling so surreal (in a good way).

Here's some of Rebecca's birth story:

My water broke around 2:50 in the afternoon on Wednesday.  Ryan & I were going to get a late lunch at Fong's (our favorite Chinese restaurant) before heading up to the hospital, but right before we sat down at our table there was a big gush of fluid, which completely soaked my pants (but thankfully did not leave a puddle!).  So, we skipped lunch and headed up the hill to check into the hospital.  After getting settled, Ryan and I spent the next several hours playing Uno, reading, and walking the halls.  My contractions were 1-3 minutes apart, but things progressed slowly at first.  By 5:40, I was only dilated to about 3cm.  At 8pm there was another big gush of fluid, which had meconium in it, so we were informed that there would be a respiratory therapist (I think that was the title they used…) in the room when Rebecca was born, just in case there were any complications from that (thankfully, the therapist was not needed, but it was good to know they were there).  At 9:10 pm, I was only dilated to 4cm, which was really discouraging.  The contractions were continually increasing in intensity, and I was beginning to doubt whether I could make it through delivery without any pain meds, but my wonderful Ryan kept encouraging and helping me through each contraction.  (I'm still not sure how Ryan managed to be so amazing, since he had worked all night Tuesday, and only got 3 hours of sleep Wednesday morning…he was sooo tired!)  At 10:50 pm I was dilated to 5cm, 90% effaced, and Rebecca was at a -2 station.  That's when my body kicked into high gear.  Within about a half hour (at 11:25) I was at 8cm, and already feeling the almost irresistible urge to push.  Ryan helped me breathe through the incredibly painful contractions, and I whined in between them that I just couldn't do it (haha -- like I had a choice at that point, right?).  I thought I might break in half - the pain was shooting down my legs, and I felt so weak & exhausted.  No change in position helped.  Thankfully, at 11:45 pm, the doctor said I could start pushing.  After having to resist the urge to push for the past 20 minutes, you'd think that "ok" from the doc would have been a big relief, but I suddenly didn't feel like I had to push anymore!  (Frustrating!!!)  Well, that didn't last long…After several unexplainably painful contractions, and several hard pushes (with me still saying that I just couldn't do this), Rebecca was born at 11:50pm, almost exactly 9 hours after my water broke.  Because she was breathing fine on her own, they placed her on my chest while they cleaned her off. The doctor & nurses worked so efficiently that everything was kind of a blur, but I was totally focused on my baby & completely relieved that the pain had stopped!  I suddenly felt wide awake, and very happy.  :)  Rebecca didn't cry hardly at all, and she took to nursing right away.  Her APGAR scores were 8 & 9.

So, I did it!  I was able to give birth without the aid of pain medications…but I don't know if I could do it again…wow, that was HARD!!!  On the plus side, I was able to get out of bed and walk around within an hour after giving birth.  I got my stupid IV removed as quickly as possible (my hand is still bruised from the IV…have I mentioned how much I hate needles and IV's?), and I didn't even need help taking a shower.  I had a very small tear, which the doc had stitched up (those numbing shots are painful, too!), but I didn't even feel the need for pain meds afterwards (until the after-birth contractions started up during nursing sessions…then I caved and took a little Motrin).  For me, the hardest part about recovery has just been the complete and total exhaustion…but it's TOTALLY worth it!  :)

We had been planning on having Nicole come see her baby sister on Thursday, after Nicole got out of school.  Ryan had left to get a couple hours of sleep at home and then pick up Nicole, when the nurse came into my room around noon to inform me that the hospital had just placed a restriction on visitors: no one under 18 allowed due to several confirmed cases of RSV after RSV season should have already ended.  I burst into tears!  Nicole was so looking forward to meeting her sister, and now all we'd be able to do is show her through a window…  :(  I know it shouldn't have been a huge deal…we'd be going home the next day anyway…but I was devastated, and I knew Cole would be, too.  As we were pushing Rebecca out into the hallway (in the hospital bassinet) to "meet" her big sister, the amazing nurse came up to me and informed me that they had just received special permission for her to escort Rebecca out to the waiting room for a couple of minutes so Nicole could see her!!!  I cried again!  Nicole didn't get to hold Rebecca, but at least she could sit next to me while I held her.  It made a huge difference for all of us. :)

Nicole loves being a big sister!  She loves picking out clothes for Rebecca to wear (although she is still working on the skills of dressing her & changing her diaper).  :)  And she loves holding her & cuddling with her!  :)















No comments: