Wednesday, July 31, 2019

A Few Pictures

This evening has been great! Once Ryan woke up, he was the most coherent he has been to date! We talked a lot (it is SOOO wonderful to hear his voice again!). We talked about the miracles that have been happening, and I read him some comments and well-wishes from family and friends. He was asking me about a memory he had when we stayed at a hotel and there was a fire, and we realized that he was thinking about the nightmare/hallucinations he had a couple nights ago where he was worried about the girls getting burned. I explained to him what had actually happened, and he understood. He remembered that a bunch of nurses had been telling him to calm down, but he had been angry at them because they weren't understanding the danger his daughters were in. He asked me, "So when the doctors are telling me not to worry, are you saying I should listen to them?" I told him it's important to listen to them, but it's also important to help them understand what he's feeling so they can help him better.

We also talked about last week when he asked for a pen and paper so he could write what he was trying to say. I told him he had made a great effort, and he asked, "Couldn't you read what I had written?" 😄 Then I told him that he hadn't been able to write anything, but he clearly remembers writing words for me. :)

He's been very concerned this evening about writing Thank You notes to everyone who has been helping us out. He especially wants to thank the staff at Portneuf, and everyone who has visited him. It may take us a while, but we'll work on that. :)

He had a pretty good phone call with our girls and his mom tonight. Such tender mercies to see him interacting more and more with everyone!

He has also been stretching and moving all of his limbs this evening!!! This is such great progress! The stretching has been helping him get a little more relief from pain, which is wonderful.

As it got later this evening, Ryan expressed that he was beginning to feel the anxiety build again. We acted as quickly as we could to get him some medicine for that -- they just gave him some Hydroxyzine, which is an antihistamine, to see if that will calm him. He is starting to fall asleep now, so hopefully he will sleep peacefully for the rest of the night. 🙏

Here are a few pictures I wanted to share. The last one may be a little gross, as it shows the hole in Ryan's neck from the trach.

Our sweet girls, having fun at Grandma's
Ryan sitting up with less support
























Good thoughts!!!
The trach is out :)



No comments: