This afternoon and evening, Ryan has been experiencing severe pain in his left hip. After waiting and waiting for thoughts/suggestions from the medical professionals here, I finally googled it, and found that joint and muscle pain are very common after a stroke, especially in the shoulders (which Ryan is also experiencing). He has been kicking his leg so hard now, that he's hurting himself. At one point, I was beginning to panic because I wanted so badly to find a way to help ease his pain. He finally looked at me and mouthed the words, "Be patient." That's my Ryan, always the one to help me calm down and realize when I'm over-thinking things.
Ryan's dad came to see him again this afternoon. Ryan smiles more when he has visitors. :)
This evening he seems to be talking to himself a lot. I wish I could tell what he's saying. Quite a few times I've seen him counting, "one two three four five six..." But other times he's "speaking" so quickly that I can't even guess at what he's saying. Wouldn't it be cool if we had one of those machines that the dogs on the movie "Up" use to speak?
When Ryan's speech therapist came in to work with him this afternoon, he was able to correctly tell her his name, my name, and that we were in Utah. His other therapists didn't have as much luck today -- he's almost always sleeping when they come by. I'm starting to wonder if they don't believe me when I tell them the things that Ryan does in the evenings, because he just isn't awake when they are present.
I think we're going to try giving Ryan some more Adivan tonight, to see if that helps him relax enough to get a decent night's sleep without all of the thrashing and kicking. I can get him to relax and sleep for about 15 minutes by doing his range of motion exercises with him, but that's too exhausting for me to do all night long...
We are blessed. Line upon line, we receive revelation from God. "Peter’s diligence allowed him to gain a greater understanding of the vision described in Acts 10. As we patiently seek guidance from the Lord and heed the promptings of the Spirit, we too can gain a deeper understanding of the things the Lord would have us know." (Come, Follow Me)

No comments:
Post a Comment