Monday, November 15, 2021

Reprimanded

 I know, I know...it's been a while... I've been reprimanded several times for not keeping up on my blog posting, and I apologize. Here's a catch-up post. :)

The past eight months have been good, busy, and challenging. Ryan is preparing for extensive testing this week (a repeat of testing that he completed back at the beginning of 2020 to see how his brain is doing). There are still frequent changes to his medications for several different reasons, the main ones being treatment-resistant depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Some medications have been really rough on his liver, while others have just not helped at all. Just when we're hopeful that things are working well, something happens to turn it all upside down again. Ryan has had some good days, but a lot of really difficult ones as well. He still hasn't recovered enough to consider trying to go back to work, which is really hard for him to accept every day.

I spent the last year and a half teaching English to Chinese children, and I was really enjoying that job and the flexibility it allowed me. Unfortunately, the Chinese government decided to put a stop to all of the extra tutoring that Chinese parents pay for, and to put a stop to foreign teachers...so I found myself out of a job. :( But, as always, God has His hand in all things. This change allowed us to re-evaluate things, and after a lot of thought, research, prayer, and fasting, we decided that I will go back to school to get a nursing degree. Wow! I never thought I would be a nurse, but I feel very excited and passionate about this next step. First, I have to get the prerequisites out of the way, which may take a while, especially since school is expensive and we aren't exactly rolling in dough. ;) But we'll keep moving forward in faith and trust that God will provide a way. I have accepted a position as a substitute teacher, which is terrifying for me, and I've been applying for other work-from-home job opportunities that will hopefully allow me the flexibility to take classes online and take care of my family at the same time.

Becca turned 7 in April. She had a blast helping make and decorate her birthday cake (what little girl doesn't love sprinkles?!).


 

This past spring Ryan and Becca both decided that they needed major haircuts. :) I just love these before and after pictures. :) Becca always says that she wants really long hair, but as soon as it gets past her shoulders, she begins begging for it to be chopped off. Ryan also likes his hair long, but sometimes it drives him crazy.


 

 Over the summer my parents served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They worked at a large campground in Washington called Ensign Ranch, and we were blessed to be able to visit them there and see all of the work they were doing! We also got to spend fun time with my grandparents and cousins, see some gorgeous waterfalls, and explore a giant Sequoia grove!




Other summer activities included Nicole going on Trek and attending Girls Camp, Becca getting her ears pierced, Ryan and I having a little getaway for just the two of us, a family camping trip to the sand dunes, exploring the ruins of the original town site for our town, and a family trip to the State Fair. Things were difficult because I ended up with an ingrown toenail that got majorly infected so I had to have the whole thing removed. (Not having a toenail is not any fun!) Also, Ryan tries very hard to spend quality time with us, but it's difficult for him with all that he's dealing with. We are so grateful for every moment we get with him! My little brother and his wife put together an awesome balloon painting activity for us, and we created some fun and unique art. Then, all too soon, the girls started school and they've been working so hard this year! And in September and October we were blessed to be able to attend and help with the Pocatello Temple Open House! We've loved every minute of it, and we were also blessed to be able to attend the dedication of the Pocatello Temple! <3







First Day of School for Cole!

First Day of School for Becca!

Don't mind the crazy hair -- it was an incredibly windy day!

Halloween this year seemed to come and go very quickly! Nicole put together a costume so that she could be Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter (photo from movie given for reference), and she asked me to crochet part of her costume. Becca decided that she wanted to be a white puppy with brown spots, and she also asked me to crochet part of her costume. It was a lot of work, but I think they both looked adorable! At the last minute, Ryan decided to dress up as a mountain man (one of his favorite shows is Mountain Men from the History channel) using a kapote that he made when he was a young scout. I didn't want to be viewed as a party-pooper, so I quickly threw on an old pirate costume from a previous year. We took the girls trunk-or-treating, then spent the rest of the evening at home watching Casper, and Becca delighted in handing out candy to the few trick-or-treaters that made the trek to our door. :)





Becca designed this jack-o-lantern and requested my help in carving it. :)

Now begins all of the preparation for Thanksgiving, and then for Christmas. I've been making ornaments for our Christmas tree this year, and I hope I have time to get them finished (good thing I started back in July!). The girls have begun their second trimester of school, and I am preparing to start classes online in January -- prayers would be muchly appreciated as I'll be taking difficult science classes and I haven't been in school for almost ten years! Prayers would also be appreciated in Ryan's behalf, as they are attempting to take him completely off of one medication, and each time they've tried it in the past it has caused a lot of issues for him.

We hope all is going well for all of you. We're so grateful for the continued support and prayers from all of our family and friends! <3


On the Greenbelt in I.F.

My new pjs for Mother's Day. :)

My EVERYTHING! <3 <3 <3 (and yes, Becca dresses uniquely ;)


2 comments:

Becky Muench said...

Thanks for the catch up. I love all the news. I love all of you so much!

Craythorn Family said...

You've had a busy year! You all look wonderful. Love the Halloween costumes! Best wishes with going back to school. So brave. I've thought of nursing as well but dread having to start all over with school. Your family is amazing. Stay strong!