Sunday, August 04, 2019

Beautiful Day

Today was another good day! :)

Ryan gets very disoriented at night/in the early morning hours, and almost switches to a different personality. I've heard that is not uncommon with stroke patients. He refuses pain medication and just wants to be left alone to deal with everything on his own. But after he wakes up more, he either apologizes for acting grumpy, or he doesn't remember doing or saying those things.

Ryan also has a hard time remembering where we are and why we are there. Last night we saw a preview for the new live-action Dora the Explorer movie on TV, so today he thought we were going to take the girls to see the movie in the theater. When I explained that it was Sunday (we try not to spend money on Sundays in an effort to keep the Sabbath day holy) and he couldn't leave the hospital yet, he decided we would have to take the girls to the theater tomorrow. :) He asked me if we would be able to get him a more comfortable seat at the theater if we arrived early. ;)

We spent more time outside this morning, listening to conference talks and hymns. It was really nice weather. We waited and waited for his speech therapist to arrive this morning, as she had told us she was changing her schedule for this week and would see us on Sunday to give Ryan some food. I chose not to attend church this morning because I wanted to be there when his speech therapist arrived. Unfortunately, it was almost 1pm before we were told that she had to cancel her appointments today, so Ryan has to wait another day before he gets to eat!

Ryan has been craving soft-serve ice cream and food from Sizzler. He was begging me to get him some ice cream from DQ yesterday, and I was SOOO tempted!!!...but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize his recovery, so I refrained from spoiling him. It wasn't easy though!!!

I was very grateful today when three older gentlemen--missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints--came to our hospital room and offered to give us the Sacrament. (Please read this brief article to learn more about the Sacrament.) It was Ryan's first time being able to take the Sacrament since his stroke, and he was very happy for the opportunity. Because he is not allowed to eat or drink yet, they gently touched the bread and water to his lips, which is something I didn't know was done. It was a sacred experience for both of us. As the missionaries were leaving our room, one of them stopped and turned back to us. He said, "I feel like we should pray with you. Would that be all right?" I was choked up with tears and a feeling of peace entered my heart as Ryan and I both nodded our heads. The man said a beautiful, comforting prayer for us. Then another one of the missionaries asked if they could give Ryan a priesthood blessing. He accepted their offer, and they anointed him with oil consecrated for the healing of the sick. It was a beautiful blessing, promising continued healing, and the confirming spirit of the Holy Ghost was felt by everyone in the room. Before they left, the gentleman who had offered the prayer for us patted Ryan on the shoulder and said, "I love you, Brother." He was complete stranger to us, but he was filled with the Savior's love for Ryan and expressed it so simply. After they left, Ryan had a few tears rolling down his cheek. I asked what he was thinking, and he said, "I just don't know why He (meaning the Savior) keeps loving me..." Ryan has always struggled to feel self-worth. I simply responded, "I do."

Just after 1pm, I left Ryan to head back to Idaho. It was really hard to leave him behind. He kept talking about us going places and visiting family, and I wanted so badly to just walk out of the hospital with him by my side. I wrote him a little note that he can read or have someone read to him, explaining when we'll be back from New York.

Seeing my girls and my wonderful mother-in-law again was a balm to my soul. Now Ryan's mom is with him in Bountiful, and the girls and I are home and almost all packed for our trip. We have been so very blessed -- I feel like I can't do enough to express our gratitude for all of the help we have received from all of you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

We are still looking for someone who would be willing to keep our dogs for a week (please see the previous post for more details).

No comments: